To qualify for the Young Entrepreneurs category, you must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 39 when you apply
- Start a new sugar bush or buy a sugar bush with no quota and apply for a quota of up to 25,000 taps
Buy a sugar bush with a quota and apply to add a maximum of 25,000 taps
The applicant can be a co-owner of the sugar bush for which a quota application is submitted, but must control the company.
- Hold a diploma in maple production or its equivalent.
Here’s what you need to do to apply:
Young Entrepreneurs Quotas Postponed until 2021
The quotas for 40,000 young entrepreneurs taps that would normally have been issued in 2020 will be rolled over into 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, with the agreement of Régie des marchés agricoles et alimentaires du Québec (“Régie”). That means PPAQ will be issuing quotas for a total of 80,000 taps in 2021.
Applicants who were eligible on June 15, 2020, will also be eligible in 2021. The necessary information and application forms will be available in April 2021.
Submit the following documents:
- A duly completed “Young Entrepreneurs” form, including a business plan (form will be available Spring 2020).
- Photocopies of two of the following documents as proof of age: driver’s licence, health insurance card, or birth certificate.
- Your permit to operate a sugar bush on public land with a maximum of 25,000 taps or a certificate from the appropriate ministry, authority, or agent certifying that the sugar bush in question is for the producer’s exclusive use
The deed or successful bid for a sugar bush (with or without quota)
4. The sugar bush plan or a confirmation form signed by the forestry engineer.
Here’s how the quotas will be allocated:
All applications that score 70 points or higher in the evaluation will be retained.
If demand exceeds the number of taps available (40,000 in 2019), applications will be selected at random from among those retained. Each randomly selected application will receive 100% of its requested quota.