Employer Attestation Concerning Travel
Québec citizens have been required to observe a curfew since the beginning of 2021. At present, curfew time in red and orange zones begins at 9:30 pm.
Maple production has been deemed an essential service, so maple producers may conduct their business activities as long as they follow the health regulations in place. This means that maple industry workers can circulate during curfew hours in the course of their duties, but they must be able to show justification for being away from home.
It is therefore strongly recommended that employers complete the Employer Attestation Concerning Travel During the Curfew Decreed by the Gouvernement du Québec and give copies to all their employees. They will have to produce this document if requested by police.
Maple enterprise owners should carry proof of ownership with them while travelling during the curfew.
PROCEDURE MASKS AND PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT
The Commission des normes, de l’équité, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail (CNESST) provides workplace health and safety standards (guided by 5 principles) intended to manage risks related to COVID-19. Among these is the mandatory usage of the following 2 pieces of personal protective equipment, when distancing of 2 metres is not possible between workers and from any other person:
- Procedure Mask, AND
- Eye Protection (safety glasses or face shield)
A reusable face covering is NOT adequate personal protective equipment at work.
ALL workers must wear medical procedure masks and have no interaction with customers. If there are interactions with customers within 2 metres, without a physical barrier, eye protection is mandatory and the customers must wear face masks.
Furthermore, due to the new variants of the virus, the Institut national de santé publique du Québec recommends the wearing of masks at all times in the workplace.
Go here for more details on how to limit the spread of COVID-19 on the job.
Here are more useful links to information about protection:
- Hierarchy of Control Measures in the Workplace
- Recommandations sur le port du masque médical en continu
- Workplace Sanitary Standards Guide for the Agricultural Work Environment
- Workplace Sanitary Standards Guide for Establishments in the Restaurant and Bar Sectors
You will find more details at: Directives de santé publique concernant la réouverture des salles à manger et des autres lieux de consommation du secteur de la restauration .
Reminder of Health Guidelines
- Frequent hand washing
- Distancing of 2 metres (6 feet) between people
- Wearing a mask when distancing is not possible
- Frequent disinfection of tools and any objects touched by different people
- No gatherings (indoors or outdoors)
- Application of physical distancing measures during rest and meal breaks (no gatherings)
- Employees may eat at the same time in the same room if they can be separated from one another by over two metres
- If a large enough dining room is not available, mealtimes should be staggered to limit the number of people there at any one time
- No sharing of cups, glasses, dishes, or utensils.
If a person in your business tests positive for COVID-19, even though you have taken all precautions, you are obliged to notify public health officials through the Québec.ca website or by calling 1-877-644-4545.
This situation tends to evolve rapidly so we urge you to consult the Government of Québec’s COVID-19 website regularly. It is of utmost important that you know the latest health and safety guidelines, and be in compliance with them.