The 2021 Expansion Quota Program will issue taps to persons or companies with quotas, wishing to expand their operations. This may involve:
- The addition of up to 10,000 taps to increase production on operation units that already hold a quota
- The addition of up to 10,000 taps on another operation unit (purchased or rented on private land or with operating permit on public land).
Applicants to the 2021 Expansion Program must harvest the taps granted by QMSP within 3 years of issue. Successful applicants must also promise to personally manage their taps for a period of 5 years.
Expansion Program Application Process
The following documents must be submitted to QMSP by October 15, 2021:
- A duly-completed EXPANSION QUOTA form that indicates choice of allocation: random draw or distribution in tranches of 200 taps.
- The operating permit for public land or attestation from the Ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs, applicable authority or agent that the land is reserved for the planned maple operation.
- Land title, an accepted offer to purchase, a notarized lease from the land register for a term of at least 15 years, or a promise to lease a maple operation with or without a quota.
- A maple syrup production plan prepared by a forestry engineer in accordance with QMSP requirements.
Quota Allocation Process
The allocation methods for the Start-Up and Expansion programs are identical:
- taps are allocated in proportion to the number of eligible applicants in each program.
This means that distribution will be known only on allocation day — December 15, 2021. The single exception is that 5% of new taps (350,000) are reserved for start-up operations on public land.
Documents for 2021 Quota Applicants:
- EXPANSION Quota Application
- EXPANSION Quota Application Step-by-Step (French only)
- List of Forestry Engineers (French only)
- Instructions for Forestry Engineers (French only)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Maple Glossary of Terms
- Powerpoint of the Webinar presented on September 16
- Webinair video
- Write us at [email protected].
- Contact the secretary of your regional maple organization.
- Call us at 1 (855) 679-7021, push 1 for Producer Services.
The information on this page is intended to simplify the regulations governing maple producers. In the event of differences between the regulation and the content on this website, the Régie-approved regulation is the document of reference. You will find it here.
Quota for Young Entrepreneurs