Quotas for Innovative Maple Projects
Each year, Québec Maple Syrup Producers (QMSP) may allocate one or more quotas, totalling up to the equivalent of 40,000 taps, to projects deemed to be innovative. Any unallocated balance for this program in one marketing year is not carried over to the following year. QMSP processes Innovation Quota applications as they are received and in accordance with availability. If such a quota is not available, applications will be processed the following year.
Innovation Quotas are allocated on the basis of the Reference Yield per Tap for the year and are limited to 25,000 taps for any individual project.
If the applicant is a producer who holds an existing quota, the maximum number of taps that will be allocated for an innovation project is 10,000.
To obtain an Innovation Quota, the applicant may not be employed by QMSP and must submit the form found at the bottom of this page, along with the following documents:
- In the case of an operation on private property, the land title or accepted offer to purchase a sugar bush, or a notarized and published lease with a term of no less than 15 years, or a promise to lease of the same term;
- In the case of public land, a permit to operate the sugar bush on which the quota is to be exercised, or a document from the provincial government—the ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs (MFFP)— or other appropriate jurisdiction or its representative, attesting that the applicant has authorization to conduct the project at that site;
- An updated business plan for the sugar bush;
- A description of the project that demonstrates:
- That the applicant has the funding or financial resources to conduct the project;
- That the project is innovative in nature, does not compete with products currently on the market, and respects the principles of efficient and orderly marketing.
An Innovation Quota is allocated only after the applicant enters with QMSP into an agreement that includes a monitoring protocol and marketing parameters for the innovative product.
You may submit an application for an Innovation Quota at any time. For more information, please contact: