Quotas for New Maple Enterprises
No later than May 31 of each year, Québec Maple Syrup Producers (QMSP) decides whether it will issue quotas to start-up projects and the number of taps allotted to them. Interested parties must submit an application to QMSP and meet the following requirements.
- Must not be employed by QMSP;
- May not have been involved directly or indirectly with the operation of a sugar bush for at least the previous 3 years;
- Operate a sugar bush without quota in compliance with applicable regulations and marketing agreements, and agree to demonstrate proof of doing so.
A legal person or company may also be eligible for a Start-Up Quota if, at time of application, the entity is entirely owned by one or more natural persons who satisfy Conditions 1 to 3.
Eligible parties may apply for a Start-Up Quota by filling out the form found at the bottom of this page and sending it, along with the applicable documents and information listed below, to QMSP no later than August 15:
- Choose method of quota allocation: either by lottery or by 200-tap increments distributed in turn to all qualified applicants, until requested quota amount is reached or all available taps have been allotted;
- In the case of an operation on private property, the land title or an accepted offer to purchase a sugar bush;
- In the case of a lease of private land, a notarized and published lease with a term of no less than 15 years or a promise to lease of the same term;
- In the case of public land, a permit to operate a sugar bush of no more than 25,000 taps on public land, or attestation from the provincial government—the ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs (MFFP) —or other appropriate jurisdiction or its representative, that it has granted land management rights for the purpose of operating a sugar bush;
- The number of taps desired;
- A business plan for the maple operation and, if the application is accepted, a commitment to provide a business plan for the operation with the number of taps allocated to it;
- An acceptable attestation from a recognized financial institution or a financial backer indicating that it has the funding or resources to support the operation.
- A declaration that the applicant will personally operate the sugar bush for a period of 5 years, starting with the beginning of operations after confirmation of the number of taps allocated to the operation.
QMSP will issue Start-Up Quotas of up to 25,000 taps to successful applicants, that is, whose applications have scored at least 75 points in the evaluation process.
If there is an insufficient quantity of taps to fulfill the quota chosen by lottery for successful applicants, QMSP will proceed with a lottery in which each successful applicant has one ticket, and taps will be allocated until the available quantity is allotted. The randomly chosen applicant’s full quota request will be granted, even if it results in an over-allocation of the year’s tap availability. The balance will come from the quantities made available for the distribution method of allocation.
In the distribution method, taps are allocated in increments of 200 to the successful applicants who chose this method, up to the limits of their quota requests or until the total quantity of taps has been allotted. If there are taps remaining after distribution is completed, they may be returned to further random availability.
Applicants who qualify for a lottery but are not selected are entitled to enter lotteries in subsequent years with the same Start-Up Quota application.
Start-Up Quota applications for operations on public land are evaluated for selection by MFFP.
The following information will be available during the application period:
Opening and Closing Dates:
Quotas for Innovative Maple Projects