Quotas for the Next Generation of Producers
On April 1 of each year, Québec Maple Syrup Producers (QMSP) permits an increase in overall maple syrup production by the equivalent of 40,000 taps for the purpose of integrating the next generation of producers into the maple industry. In years when Start-Up and Expansion quotas have been increased, this amount rises to the equivalent of 100,000 taps.
Young Entrepreneur Quotas are allocated on the basis of the year’s benchmark yield per tap.
to be eligible:
- You must be at least 18 and no more than 40 years of age;
- You may not be employed by QMSP;
- You must hold a diploma in maple production from a recognized educational institution, or the equivalent;
- You may not be involved, directly or indirectly, with the operation of a maple enterprise;
- You intend to start a maple enterprise of no less than 500 taps and no more than 25,000 taps, or show proof of the coming purchase of a sugar bush with quota no later than one year following your application, and intend to expand it by no more than 10,000 taps.
A legal person or company may also be eligible for a Young Entrepreneur Quota if, on June 15 of the allocation year, the entity is wholly owned by one or more natural persons who satisfy Conditions 1, 2, 4, and 5.
Eligible parties may apply for a Young Entrepreneur Quota by filling out the form found at the bottom of this page and sending it, along with the applicable documents and information listed below, to QMSP no later than June 15:
- In the case of a new maple operation on private property, the land title or an accepted offer to purchase a sugar bush that has no quota;
- In the case of a lease of private land, a notarized and published lease with a term of at least 15 years or a promise to lease of the same term;
- In the case of public land, a permit to operate a sugar bush of no more than 25,000 taps on public land, or attestation from the provincial government—the ministère des Forêts, de la Faune et des Parcs (MFFP)—or other appropriate jurisdiction or its representative, that it has granted land management rights for the purpose of operating a sugar bush;
- In the case of the expansion of a maple operation, the land title or accepted offer to purchase a sugar bush with quota, or the documentation required under Points 2 and 3 for the expansion site, or the permit to use public land for a sugar bush with quota;
- A written promise to personally operate the sugar bush for a period of no less than 5 years from the start of operations, after application approval;
- The number of taps desired;
- A business plan for the maple operation and, if the application is accepted, a commitment to provide a business plan for the operation with the number of taps allocated;
- An acceptable attestation from a recognized financial institution or a financial backer indicating it has the funding or resources to support the operation.
QMSP will allocate Young Entrepreneur Quotas of up to 25,000 taps to successful applicants, that is, whose applications have scored at least 75 points in the evaluation process.
If taps remain unallocated in a Quota year, QMSP will award them to successful applicants in a lottery. The randomly chosen applicant’s full quota request will be granted, even if it results in an over-allocation of the year’s tap availability.
Applicants who qualify for such a lottery but are not selected are entitled to enter lotteries in subsequent years with the same Young Entrepreneur Quota application.
Successful Young Entrepreneur applicants who are not chosen at random for additional taps in a Quota year become eligible for Start-Up or Expansion Quotas in the same year with no need to submit formal applications for them.
The following information will be available during the application period:
Opening and Closing Dates:
Quotas for New Maple Enterprises