To qualify for the Young Entrepreneurs category, you must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 39 when you apply
- Start a new sugar bush or buy a sugar bush with no quota and apply for a quota of up to 25,000 taps
Buy a sugar bush with a quota and apply to add a maximum of 25,000 taps
The applicant can be a co-owner of the sugar bush for which a quota application is submitted, but must control the company.
- Hold a diploma in maple production or its equivalent.
Here’s what you need to do to apply:
Quotas for Young Entrepreneurs delayed
The PPAQ board of directors has decided to delay issuing the 40,000 taps worth of quotas in the Young Entrepreneurs category, June 15 application deadline, because of the COVID-19 pandemic. No new date is being set at this time. PPAQ continues to monitor the situation closely. You will be notified as soon as the Young Entrepreneurs quota program starts up again.
Submit the following documents:
- A duly completed “Young Entrepreneurs” form, including a business plan (form will be available Spring 2020).
- Photocopies of two of the following documents as proof of age: driver’s licence, health insurance card, or birth certificate.
- Your permit to operate a sugar bush on public land with a maximum of 25,000 taps or a certificate from the appropriate ministry, authority, or agent certifying that the sugar bush in question is for the producer’s exclusive use
The deed or successful bid for a sugar bush (with or without quota)
4. The sugar bush plan or a confirmation form signed by the forestry engineer.
Here’s how the quotas will be allocated:
All applications that score 70 points or higher in the evaluation will be retained.
If demand exceeds the number of taps available (40,000 in 2019), applications will be selected at random from among those retained. Each randomly selected application will receive 100% of its requested quota.