To qualify for the Young Entrepreneurs category, you must:
- Be between the ages of 18 and 39 when you apply
- Start a new sugar bush or buy a sugar bush with no quota and apply for a quota of up to 25,000 taps
Buy a sugar bush with a quota and apply to add a maximum of 25,000 taps
The applicant can be a co-owner of the sugar bush for which a quota application is submitted, but must control the company.
- Hold a diploma in maple production or its equivalent.
Here’s what you need to do to apply:
Submit the following documents no later than June 15, 2019:
- A duly completed “Young Entrepreneurs” form, including a business plan (form is in French only).
- Photocopies of two of the following documents as proof of age: driver’s licence, health insurance card, or birth certificate.
- Your permit to operate a sugar bush on public land with a maximum of 25,000 taps or a certificate from the appropriate ministry, authority, or agent certifying that the sugar bush in question is for the producer’s exclusive use
The deed or successful bid for a sugar bush (with or without quota)
4. The sugar bush plan or a confirmation form signed by the forestry engineer.
If you submitted a Young Entrepreneurs application and business plan in 2016, in 2017, in 2018 and there have not been any changes since then, simply fill out the 2019 “Young Entrepreneurs” form, check the box at the start of section 3, and return it to us.
If one or more items have changed since your 2016 application, 2017 application, 2018 application, you must fill out the 2019 “Young Entrepreneurs” form, including all of section 3, sections 4 and 5 and return it to us with the documents requested.
If you are applying for the first time in 2019, you must complete the entire form and return it to us with the documents requested.
Here’s how the quotas will be allocated:
All applications that score 70 points or higher in the evaluation will be retained.
If demand exceeds the number of taps available (40,000 in 2019), applications will be selected at random from among those retained. Each randomly selected application will receive 100% of its requested quota.