Buying Bulk Maple Syrup in Québec
If you are a food industry entrepreneur and would like to buy large quantities of pure Québec maple syrup for packaging, processing, export, food service, etc, we have two options for you:
You can buy maple syrup from the Québec Maple Syrup Producers (QMSP) Strategic Reserve. It comes readily inspected and graded in 205-litre barrels. Transport is your responsibility.
For terms and conditions of the purchase of maple syrup from the QMSP inventory, please refer to the current sales communiqué.
You can buy maple syrup directly from a Québec maple producer. All barrels purchased must be declared and promptly inspected and graded by QMSP’s authorized agency, the Centre ACER’s Inspection Division. You must be an authorized buyer to exercise this option.
Authorized buyers secure their own supplies of maple syrup from one or more producers, without the intervention of QMSP.
Only authorized buyers can purchase bulk quantities of maple syrup directly from Québec maple producers.
Authorized buyers must have a place of business and a warehouse in Québec:
- With a duly calibrated scale to weigh barrels;
- With adequate space that is heated and has access to hot water, in order to accommodate grading and quality control personnel.
The list of authorized buyers can be found here.
Terms and Conditions for the Purchase of Bulk Maple Products
Authorized buyers of bulk maple products are represented by the Conseil de l’industrie de l’érable (CIE). QMSP—representing maple producers—and CIE negotiate the terms of how Québec maple products in bulk are bought and sold (including prices and payment), graded, stored, etc. in a marketing agreement.
There are 2 such agreements, one for maple syrup and another for maple water:
How to Become an Authorized Buyer
To become an authorized buyer of Québec maple syrup, you must complete the required paperwork on an annual basis. There is no accreditation fee.
There are two kinds of authorized buyers:
Cash Authorized Buyers
These buyers pay $1,300 per barrel of maple syrup before grading. If there is a difference in value after grading, the adjusted amount is either billed or credited to the buyer.
Credit Authorized Buyers
Payment for maple syrup purchased from producers is spread over several months, according to the terms and conditions below.
- Minimum purchase of 30% maple syrup graded over the past month or 100% maple syrup used, sold, transferred, or otherwise traded
- Purchased and/or used barrels must be declared by the 8th working day of the month after they have been graded. Payment is due no later than the 15th day of the month after grading.
- For maple syrup on consignment (graded but not paid for), carrying charges are billed monthly at Caisse centrale Desjardins’s prime rate plus 1% as of the first day of the preceding month. Interest is calculated daily on the minimum price of the consigned syrup.
- The balance owed for consigned inventory on October 15 is payable in 4 installments of at least 25% of total value on the 15th days of November, December, January, and February.
- Credit authorized buyers must provide the following:
- Proof of ownership or rental of a warehouse in Québec with sufficient capacity to accommodate the year’s anticipated purchase volume;
- A copy of an insurance policy with coverage for an amount equal to or greater than the value of the year’s anticipated purchase volume;
- A letter of credit or surety bond in the name of QMSP, effective for the entire marketing year, covering a minimum of 15% of the year’s anticipated purchase volume.
For more information, contact:
1-855-679-7021, option 4
These documents provide technical details on our maple products.
PRODUCT DATA SHEETS
NUTRITION FACTS TABLES
SALES DATA SHEETS
QMSP will provide you editable sales data sheets to aid in the promotion of Québec maple products. Contact Cathy Petitjean at [email protected].
The World’s Only Reserve of Maple Syrup