Buying Bulk Maple Syrup in Québec
If you are a food industry entrepreneur and would like to buy large quantities of pure Québec maple syrup for packaging, processing, export, food service, etc, we have two options for you:
You can buy maple syrup from the Québec Maple Syrup Producers (QMSP) Strategic Reserve. It comes readily inspected and graded in 205-litre barrels. Transport is your responsibility.
For terms and conditions of the purchase of maple syrup from the QMSP inventory, please refer to the current sales communiqué.
You can buy maple syrup directly from a Québec maple producer. All barrels purchased must be declared and promptly inspected and graded by QMSP’s authorized agency, the Centre ACER’s Inspection Division. You must be an authorized buyer to exercise this option.
Authorized buyers secure their own supplies of maple syrup from one or more producers, without the intervention of QMSP.
Only authorized buyers can purchase bulk quantities of maple syrup directly from Québec maple producers.
Authorized buyers must have a place of business and a warehouse in Québec:
- With a duly calibrated scale to weigh barrels;
- With adequate space that is heated and has access to hot water, in order to accommodate grading and quality control personnel.
The list of authorized buyers can be found here.
Terms and Conditions for the Purchase of Bulk Maple Products
Authorized buyers of bulk maple products are represented by the Conseil de l’industrie de l’érable (CIE). QMSP—representing maple producers—and CIE negotiate the terms of how Québec maple products in bulk are bought and sold (including prices and payment), graded, stored, etc. in a marketing agreement.
There are 2 such agreements, one for maple syrup and another for maple water:
How to Become an Authorized Buyer
To become an authorized buyer of Québec maple syrup, you must complete the required paperwork on an annual basis. There is no accreditation fee.
There are two kinds of authorized buyers:
Cash Authorized Buyers
Cash authorized buyers purchase maple syrup from producers and then have it graded. The price paid to the producer is $1,300 per barrel upon receipt and/or invoice at month’s end. If a balance is due, it is payable upon receipt of invoice. If there is a credit balance, the difference is refunded upon completion of grading for the season.
Credit Authorized Buyers
Credit authorized buyers also purchase maple syrup from producers and then have it graded. Payment to the producer is spread over several months according to the terms below.
- Minimum purchase of 30% of the previous month’s graded syrup or 100% of the syrup used, sold, transferred, or otherwise traded.
- Purchased and/or used barrels must be declared and paid by the 15th of the month after grading (e.g. grading in July, pay 30% by August 15)
- For maple syrup on consignment (graded but not paid for in full), carrying charges are billed monthly at Caisse central Desjardins’s prime rate plus 1%, calculated daily on the value of the minimum price of the consigned syrup.
- The balance of consignment inventory as of October 15 is payable in 4 installments of at least 20% of value on November 1, at least 20% of October 15 value on December 1, at least 20% of October 15 value on January 1, at least 20% of October 15 value on February 1, and the remaining balance, if any, on February 27.
For more information, contact:
Sale and Purchase Department
1-855-679-7021, option 4
These documents provide technical details on our maple products.
PRODUCT DATA SHEETS
NUTRITION FACTS TABLES
SALES DATA SHEETS
QMSP will provide you editable sales data sheets to aid in the promotion of Québec maple products. Contact Cathy Petitjean at [email protected].
The World’s Only Reserve of Maple Syrup